Monday, September 8, 2008

How Clean Are You???

I've been talking to my clients a lot about their diet these past few weeks. It seems that while Summer brings out bathing suits and smaller pieces of clothing, everyone's been eating and drinking bigger portions of everything. I'm not sure what the thinking behind it has been, but a lot of folks have gotten very slack with their diets. You would think that with being able to be outside more, you'd get more activity into your day..but maybe that's the problem. Are we justifying eating more because we feel we are doing more? We all have to remember one thing--even though we are getting out, being active, and getting in our scheduled workouts, diet is still a major player in our fitness routine. Don't ever forget that your diet is likely 90% of the success/failure ratio to any fitness plan you are undertaking. If you eat clean and exercise, you are going to win this battle--if you exercise seven days a week, eat clean Monday - Friday, but then feel entitled to go hog wild every Saturday/Sunday, you are going to lose. One client actually told me that since she screwed up at breakfast, she just figured she'd blown the whole day and continued to eat, eat, eat. I told her, okay, you blew it with the donut this morning--you should have jumped right back on the wagon and 'restarted' your plan for that day. Don't ever fall into that rut of thinking if you eat something 'bad' the day is ruined. I tell my clients that preparation is the key. You need to plan out your shopping and meals ahead of time. If you're not prepared, that's when you are mostly likely to grab the closest thing be it healthy or not. From just listening to everyone talk, it seems the mid-day food is the hardest..you're at work, you are running the kids around, you are going from store to store, etc...; oh, and you've packed nothing for yourself to eat. If you know you are going to be in your car running for hours, pack something..if you are going to work, bring your lunch (and think of all the money you are saving). Look at it this way:
You don't 'plan' to go to the gym and not pack your workout clothing, right? You don't 'plan' a night out with friends and not book a babysitter, right? Your kids have their [sport of choice here] practice two or three times a week--well you know ahead of time that at such and such a time, you will be driving them to/from that practice, right?
Well, why would you decide to finally do something awesome for yourself like starting to exercise and eat right and not 'plan' what you're going to eat?

Please, please stop sabotaging yourself and all your hard work. Just think about it... 'food' for thought here folks (sorry, bad pun intended). It's not that difficult and it makes all the difference in the world to reaching your goals. And most of all, isn't the end result so worth it?

11 comments:

Stacey Shipman said...

I would love to understand the rationalization that is behind the "I ate a donut for breakfast, I'll eat poorly all day" mentality.

Just last night I was reading a magazine and one of the tips for eating breakfast (and this could go for any meal, I suppose) when you're short on time - keep apples, pears and nuts (like almonds) on hand. Eating an apple and some nuts provides a lot of nutrients and is definitely better than nothing! That's easy to plan.

LindaM said...

Hey Stacey, it's such a difficult call that one..people that are overweight and need to reshape their lives are already frustrated and have, a lot of the time, already sentenced themselves to failure. Then, when they give in that one time, they just down themselves that much more. It's all such a mental game..that's why always being prepared for anything that may come up is key.

But yes, keeping the almonds handy and being able to just grab a piece of fruit are great--and most definitely better than nothing or grabbing that donut! Thank you!

Mark Salinas said...

Oh clean as in eating, I was thinking body odor! :) Well in that case...I TRY to eat organic and drink lots of water. I agree that so many people tend to be all or nothing...in the middle is just fine. "Please, please stop sabotaging yourself and all your hard work. Just think about it." Very good point! Nice post!

MizFit said...

yesyesyes.

we are so alike in this.

Miz.

Anonymous said...

Could we please spell doughnut correctly? I'm sick of Dunkin' Donuts ruining that word for all usages.

DeDe said...

Hi Linda! Thank you so much for this post. It totally speaks to me right now and I really appreciate your well-stated reminder.

DeDe

LindaM said...

Hey Anon..touche! Bottom line, you still knew what I was talking about though didn't you? ;-) Thanks for checking in..

LindaM said...

mizfit, birds of a feather.. :-)

LindaM said...

Dede..great to see you! Hope you are staying with it right now..I know you're 'running' hard these days!

LindaM said...

Hey Mark, we'll save the body odor for another post..but great idea, thanks! ;-)

Anonymous said...

That was a great post Linda and very well stated. I do agree that running with our kids and just being busy has always been the best way out of being held accountable. It is time that we take control of ourselves and put us up at the top of the list. I know that I was running short on time tonight and had not eaten and had to run out the door just as fast as I ran in it but lucky for me I had some eggs ready that I boiled on Sunday and grabbed some cheese and was out the door feeling better than if I had eaten the oreos that I wanted. Clean eating is the way to go to get the best results with a lot of prep work it does work. Thanks for the reminder.