Friday, August 15, 2008

My Favorite Things


Okay, so in my novice blogger status, I'm having continuing 'technical' difficulties with some things I wanted to show you re Valerie Waters' chat the other night. But alas, I cannot stop my brain so I'm going forward with the fondest of hopes that I will get that out to you. I wanted to talk about one of my most favorite things to use in the gym.

Kettlebells
! I've actually been using them since I started working out, but mostly I was using them as just a variance in how I was holding a weight, or if I needed an in-between size weight, etc.. well recently I started to use them doing exercises that were made just for them. I came across Anthony DiLuglio, of Punch Gym on east coast, and what this guy does with these things is pretty cool. I started reading his stuff and watching his exercise dvds and here I am today. I would love to make it to one of his seminars at some point and see him in action in person. Let me just say that I think these things rock, and I love'em!

Kettlebells
, in my opinion (for what that's worth!), give you a full, complete workout. You get your weight training and cardio (at least I do :-))all in one. Each move gets the heart pounding and the muscles fired up. Right now with my current routine, I'm doing a lot of swings, clean & press' and turkish getups with them. I'm really trying to do snatches, but my shoulder is thus far saying, please stop, I'm not liking this move at all! So I'm listening to it and will try something else. I also use them for bent over rows, plie squats and deadlifts, to name a few. The possibilities are pretty much endless with these little (or not so little) gems. You can make a whole workout out of them, or just incorporate a move or two into your current routine. Either way, they're a win-win for whatever work you are doing.

So, if you're not using them, or if you've never tried using them, give them a shot. It'll definitely add a new kick to your workout and open up a lot of new doors for you.

5 comments:

Mark Salinas said...

I need me some kettlebells! Thanks for the post! Very good!

DeDe said...

Hi Linda! I just noticed (on Twitter) you have a blog, so I had to come over and check it out.

I wish my gym had kettlebells. I've been trying to make due with DB swings but it just doesn't look nearly as cool. :-))

DeDe

LindaM said...

Hi Dede! I agree, db's just dont quite match up to the kb's for certain moves. Maybe think about investing in one or two for yourself at home (a 20-min ciruit with those and you're done)--or even talk to the gym manager. I'm sure they want to stay on top of things to remain competitive. Can't hurt to ask, you know?!

Rachel said...

I have not yet heard one negative comment about a kettlebell. Need to get some into my weekly routines!

LindaM said...

Hey Rachel, thanks for checking in! As you can tell from my post, I can't get enough of 'em! Every week I shake up my own workouts more with them and my clients love them too. Just changes the workouts and honestly I think everyone has a lot of fun with them. Definitely give them a shot!