Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Treat Street

Ha-ha, not really, but I caught your eye! Okay, I’m going to share a clean snack/treat I eat all the time—something that has saved me numerous times from hitting up the cookies or ice cream. Protein Pancakes, and yes you heard (err saw) correctly. The recipe for these was posted in Oxygen Magazine back in the February or March issue of this year. These little morsels can be eaten plain, heated and topped with a little natural peanut butter (so, so good this way), or maybe topped with fresh berries..there are many possibilities, and the more you make them, the more you can experiment. I love sweets—I’m the type that the minute I finish dinner I need something sweet to eat. Depending on how you make these, the texture can be sort of ‘cake’ like so you can really fool yourself with what you are eating. You can also use any flavor of protein you like to create what you’re most craving. You can mix/match your flavors as well—choc/banana makes a great one, I also add some Crystal Light Fruit Punch to vanilla powder and it kind of tastes like that Strawberry Angel Food Cake you see in the store. You can use sugar-free extracts as well and now your possibilities are even more endless. This recipe is a ‘single’ serving..but that being said, I never eat the whole batch in a day. I will eat two and that’s a snack for me. Keep them in the fridge and they last. So when the craving hits you and you’re jones’in for something, try one or two of these and see if that doesn’t help curb your craving. Here goes:

1 whole egg
3 egg whites
1 serving of your favorite protein powder
½ cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
dash of Splenda or Stevia (optional)

Mix all ingredient together (if too thick add a little water); cook as you would a pancake.*
Calories: 395; Total Fat 10g; Carbs 32g; Fiber 4g; Protein 46g

*NOTE: Do not overcook these—they will get very dry and hard to swallow. You’ll know what I mean as soon as you do it.

Give these a try—you have nothing to lose except the fat/calories that that cookie would have given you.

18 comments:

Mark Salinas said...

Looks very tasty! I will give it a try tonight and let you know what the family thinks! Thanks for the recipe!

LindaM said...

Seriously, eat them warm and shmear some natural pb on them..so yummy..I've also tried some of the flavored natural pbs (dark chocolate and also vanilla cranberry); yes they have sugar, but still better than 'true' junk food...Thanks!

Vajana said...

I've been eating protein pancakes for years now...my recipe is a bit different (1/2 cup cottage cheese) but they are my favorite!

Nice to see you have a blog here! I enjoy following your Twits!

LindaM said...

Hey Janasayqua! Thx for stopping by the blog..yah I've seen a lot of recipes for the cakes that have cottage cheese..give these a try though, they're pretty durn good! These are probably a little less fat as well..

MizFit said...

I love these too but do 1/4 cup oats and 1/4 up all bran cereal!

LindaM said...

Hi Mizfit! Now that one I've never seen..makes sense tho. Do you have the numbers on those for what it does to the carb and fiber counts? Just curious..

Angie said...

Hi, new to your blog. Just found it through a link on Mark's blog.

I was wondering how many pancakes this should make. It sounds really good.

Looking forward to reading your blog. I just added it to my reader and started to follow you on Twitter.

Thanks,
Angie

spunkysuzi said...

I make these but with just egg whites, oatmeal, baking powder, and sometimes i add a cut up banana. When cooked put peanut butter on top. Actually i think i took a picture of these a few days ago on my blog ;)
Oh and sometimes i make a warm blueberry sauce to put on top ;)

Anya said...

LindaM, these look delicious! Where do you find the flavored pb...dark chocolate and cranberry sound so yummy!

LindaM said...

Angie, thanks for checking it out--and thank you to Mark as well! It's funny about this recipe, some people get 4-5 out of it, but every time I make these (once or twice a week) I get about nine 4- to 5-inch pancakes out of it. I guess it depends on how small or large you want them to be. As I keep reminding people though, this recipe is ONE serving, so the numbers are pretty good on it.

LindaM said...

spunkysuzi, your food looks delish! Blueberry sauce would be excellent on these...think about trying the protein powder in yours--not only does it add a 'flavor' but gives your daily food intake some much needed protein. (just my two cents ;-) ). Thanks for stopping in!

LindaM said...

Anya, I get the pb at SuperTarget believe it or not! Both of those flavors are so, so good (but let the record show I only indulge in those on workout days--that's the truth and I'm sticking to it!). Give them a try--bet you love 'em too!

Mama Zen said...

These sound excellent!

LindaM said...

mama zen, they are! I love trying to come up with new ways to shake them up, but still keep them 'clean' for diet. I think that's part of the addiction for me, while I love them plain, I make it challenge for myself to zip them up when I need a change..enjoy--and thanks for stopping in!

new*me said...

sounds great! I will have to try them when I get some protein powder :) Looks like a good healthy snack for my family.

LindaM said...

new*me -- love that name! Congrats to you for starting to think about you again..that is such a huge step for us women to take. Starting your nightly exercise and trying to clean up your diet a bit are a great start! Best of luck to you on this journey. Try these little treats--bet with a lil something on top, all the kiddies will love them! And please stop back in, there will definitely be a lot more diet and exercise tips to go along with all my ramblings. :-)

FitMom said...

Thanks. Love this recipe. Haven't tried it with protein powder yet though. I was using cottage cheese instead. Will try it w/ PB & agave nectar next.

LindaM said...

fitmom, I keep meaning to buy agave nectar--great idea! Will go on my next list..thanks!