Sunday, September 14, 2008

No Skipping Allowed

While this might sound similar to one of my previous posts, it really has a whole separate meaning in the scheme of things. My other post talked about being prepared..this post is more about following through..

This was culled from something Jillian Michaels (The Biggest Loser Trainer) recently posted..I'm borrowing it because it's so very true and something I 'remind' my clients of all the time.

Skip breakfast? Think again. Not hungry for dinner? Not so fast. Not only does skipping meals slow your metabolism but it can lead to overeating, because when you do eat, you're overly hungry. There are a ton of theories out there about when and how often you should eat to maximize your weight-loss results. Believe me, I've heard 'em all, and I'm here to give you the real skinny.

When you're trying to get to your weight-loss goals, it is essential to maintain blood sugar levels to prevent energy crashes and appetite cravings that could throw you off course. In all my years of experience, I've found the most effective way to do this is to eat every four hours, without skipping a single meal or snack.

I can't tell you how often people still think the best way to lose weight is to not eat. Well that is so far from the truth it should be on the Moon! You have to keep your body fueled--if you don't, it starts to think you are starving it and it pulls from other resources to keep it going. Know which resource that is?? -- it's your muscle--not the excess fat you are trying to get rid of, nope, just the muscle you've been busting your chops trying to get. You gotta eat folks..it's that easy. You need to keep that metabolism running round the clock. If you want to lose weight, keep that metabolism running, keep to a workout plan, and your road to success just got a whole lot shorter.

Please don't skip..it will only make you more hungry and more likely to binge. Once you do that, you start to beat yourself up and things tend to keep spiraling downward. Don't do that to yourself, you're so much better than that.

9 comments:

Talli van Sunder, DPT said...

Great post! It is true so many of us feel that if we skip meals we will lose weight, but research shows we actually gain weight when we skip meals.

Yummy Fitness said...

Great post!

And completely true.

You CAN get away with skipping every once in a while, but it's not a good practice to get into.

Especially because it does encourage binging and also over the long haul it can slow your metabolism. (Both points you covered in your post.)

Good stuff to know and put into practice.

Thanks!
-Sean

LindaM said...

Talli & Sean, thanks for stopping in..and yes, so true that the mentality is the less you eat, the more weight you will lose. Such a struggle for many to get past that..I stress everyday to my clients that they 'must' eat. Thanks for reiterating my point!

Maggie said...

Skipping meals/starvation is such a silly, high school idiot thing to do.

It's hard for me to understand why so many otherwise intelligent women still cling to this kind of juvenile behavior when even the light and fluffy fitness rags like Shape and Self stress the importance of eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. It's not like the information isn't out there; it's just that somewhere along the way, because females are conditioned to be a lot less active than males as adolescents, the first thing that comes to mind when some pounds need to be lost is food, not activity.

Have you noticed that when the majority of men realize they are fat, they don't immediately begin to starve themselves like women do? Men say, "I'm fat because I stopped exercising and have too many beers and pizza. I'm going to go back to the gym and cut back a LITTLE BIT on eating crap."

Women, on the other hand, say, "OMG. I need to stop eating."

Just my observation...

LindaM said...

Maggie, yes this way of thinking is far too common amongst a lot of women. Unfortunately, it's a hard thing to let go of..hopefully most are paying to attention to all the good and valuable information out stating otherwise. They have to comes to terms with it in their head that food, when done right, is not their enemy.

Mark Salinas said...

Sooooo true! The title through me I thought we were talking about skipping, like what the kids do at playgrounds! That isn't good for you?!?!? Anyway...Whew!I agree with you, eat, eat healthy...stay active! Nice post! :)

Stacey Shipman said...

This is the truth. I'm amazed at how many people think otherwise! With all of the information available (and I admit sometimes I think that's the problem) it's disheartening to know people still think this way.

LindaM said...

Mark (yes, you may still "Skip to my loo" -- LOL!) and Stacey..telling people who have food issues to eat is almost like telling them to jump off a bridge. They just 'know' it's no good for them..I keep saying this, but you just have to get it in your head that what you are doing is good and right for you and your body. Hopefully, slowly and surely the naysayers will come around.

MizFit said...

learned this one the HARD WAY IN COLLEGE.

gained the freshman...thirty :)