Thursday, September 18, 2008

Spot Reduction ..I Don't Think So


Spot Reduction..it just doesn’t exist folks. I don't know how many times I've had someone tell me, I want to work my abs, I need some extra ab work, can't I do some ab work, etc... I hear those things all time..mostly about the abs, but the thighs and butt do get an honorable mention in there too. It's a hard to battle to wage, and it's a frequent one. Nobody wants to believe that doing 100 crunches a day isn't going to give them washboard abs. I try and give my clients mostly compound exercises to do. I figure, let's work the most efficient way we can in any given session. I do throw in some isolation work, but that's not really what I'm basing their workouts around. Your abs are made by your grocery list—what you put in that cart will make all the difference. . If you shop wisely, eat smart and exercise, you'll get those much desired 2-, 4-, or 6-packs that everyone so covets. If you exercise until you're ready to drop, but don't eat properly, you'll forever be wanting. Also, if you are considering making an equipment purchase, at 2:00 a.m. from your local cable channel, to help you in this quest, chances are you'll regret it. If it looks like a gimmick, and sounds like a gimmick, well, it probably is a gimmick. To get the washboard abs we all have lurking in our midsection, you have get rid of the fat that is covering them. To get the cuts that make those abs look so pretty, well you have to exercise. The pros you see gracing the covers and insides of magazines and doing competitions worked their tails off to get their abs to look like that. They are a cut above most in that they know how to manipulate their diets to time those abs to (hopefully) come in the day of the competition or the photo shoot. So, can you get 'abs'--yup you can..is it easy..not necessarily so. It won't happen overnight, or even over a few nights, but it can happen. If you want it bad enough, you can make anything happen. So I'm sorry if I've dispelled some things for you here, but that is the sad truth.

P.S. Oh, that picture top, right is of Maggie Diubaldo. Her abs are what I aspire to. She's an incredible looking woman. I know what needs to be done, and I am working on it! 2- of the 6- are in place..the other 4 are pending my eating patterns. :-)

6 comments:

Mark Salinas said...

Those ab gadgets are a waste of time in my book as well. "If you shop wisely, eat smart and exercise, you'll get those much desired 2-, 4-, or 6-packs that everyone so covets" I agree 100%! One other thing to keep in mind is that these models are most often brushed up to hide "imperfections" prior to the photos... also the photos are tweaked in a photo shop type software as well. Fantastic insight! 2 pack? Awesome job! Great post!

LindaM said...

thanks Mark -- and very valid point on the 'refinishing' that is done for the print work that finally makes it to the stands! Ha, I would love to be airbrushed!

Anonymous said...

I want to get more cardio in and not sure when is the most effective time of day to do it. Can you help with that?

LindaM said...

anon, kind of tough for me to answer not knowing what currently do exercise-wise, what you are tying to accomplish, your current body type, etc...there's debate about doing it first thing in the morning in a fasted state, and then some think it's better to have some substance in you..many factors.. some just go it when they can fit it in. Can you elaborate?

Jough Dempsey said...

While you can't spot reduce, and isolation exercises focusing on your abs (or wherever) probably won't help you to lose as much weight, you can still work those areas while you're overweight and have more toned abs once you lose the fat that's covering those muscles.

I'm glad to see that more people are working to dispel the "spot reduction" myth. I wonder how so many diets (there's even one called "The Abs Diet") and exercise videos can make such claims and get away with it (probably because of some mumbled or illegible fine print, right?).

LindaM said...

Jough, glad to see you realize that you have to be rid of the fat in order to uncover the muscle that's hiding beneath..diet starts the process and exercise 'continues' it..permanent lifestyle changes are what complete it.