Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Little Things Go a Long Way...


You've been eating clean for a few weeks now...you are using portion control, keeping a good balance of protein/carbs/fat and you haven't missed a workout, yet, not much is going on. What the heck you wonder...I'm working my tail off, and for what!

Well, are you truly working your tail off? Are your journaling your food? Are you really eating as clean as you think you are? If you want results, make a plan and stick to it. If you have your day's meals ready to go, then that's what you eat and drink, nothing more, nothing less. Sounds like tough love, but guess what, a lot of you need it. I know, I know, those three french fries your 4-year old left on Monday's dinner plate don't count, nor does Tuesday's mini brownie that your co-worker brought in, oh, Wednesday's fat-free, sugar-free, skinny caramel mocha latte, no whip, no that doesn't count either--at least not in your clean eating mind it doesn't. Well guess what folks--those little things you think are meaningless--well they are more than likely the reason you aren't seeing the results you think you should be. You are consistently sabotaging yourself. Diet and exercise are not easy, but then again, most of the worth while things in life ever are.

So starting now, think about these little things. Is that split second of culinary delight to your tongue is worth losing the benefit of the last couple workouts you did; is not wanting to throw out little Bobby's last two chicken nuggets worth not having your zipper gliding up smoothly (versus you having to lay on the bed and not breathe to make it go up); or is just saying no and walking away from the office food trough, and you feeling like a million bucks for having done so, just not worth it to you?

You've been working hard, I know. I'm not naive, I know 'stuff' happens and sometimes the best choices cannot be made, but I'm realistic and I know that the majority of the time that is not the case. Stop poking yourself in the eye to spite your face..make this happen for yourself. You set out to do something great for yourself, so do it.

Okay, rant over... :-)

5 comments:

LeeAnne Hebert said...

Linda, once again no holds barrred!! Love it!!

Anne said...

I love your Rants Linda. This one really hit me this morning. I know in my logical mind that little things add up and yet I have been slipping here and there. Not only do I feel the difference in my energy levels, but I can see it in my skin when I don't drink enough water.

:) Thanks for the push today!

Kristi said...

I really wish I could remember those words when the food temptations get the better of me. I have made a concerted effort to eat healthier this year and take off weight (my ultimate goal is 60 pounds), but day to day life brings its own challenges. Thank you for the inspiring article. I do need to keep focus and remember this is for me and my health!

Fat Burning Diet said...

Very interesting rant, I must admit I did giggle a bit with "little Bobby's chicken nuggets" however laughing aside you do make a valid point. People who rant on about diets/exercises not working are generally people who refuse to give 100% to it. I have come across people who think that shedding a few pounds is the start... and finish and go back to "little Bobby's Chicken nuggets" (haha sorry.. still making me giggle) point is making up your mind that you want to lose weight is simply a case of changing your life. My answer to the 2/3 weeks and nothing is.. do it for the rest of your life, and if you are still the same size then you can complain "it didn't work" as staying in shape is life long not a 2 week nightmare vacation to the island of "No Treats"

Jessica said...

Great Post! This is what always does it for me. I eat so clean and exercise, but its the mindless snacking and nibbling with my toddler that keeps the scale from budging much....grrr. you're right, gotta recognize it and realize that mindless munching adds up to exactly what's preventing my progress.